Wednesday, January 12, 2011

And they're back!

Yes, the kids have now arrived back to school. Since arriving myself it's been crazy trying to get my house and classroom in order before they came. THankfully I had some help and all seems to be in place. Today was officially the first day of school, but I don't start my classes till tomorrow. I forgot how intense the first day is! Trying to learn all the names (especially the Zambian ones) trying to overcome the cultural & language barriers. I think some of my students had no clue what was going on today as they didn't seem to understand myself or Rachel. Rachel is from Glasgow and has the accent to go with it, so I think the younger ones who are already struggling with English are having trouble with her "Scottish".

This is the first time I've ever taught with a TA in the room (Rachel) so it will be rather interesting. I'll have both grades (19 children) at the same time for all subjects, which just might be more then I can handle, which is why Rachel is helping out. She was a little unsure of teaching on her own this term, so she'll just be assisting, but I'll take whatever help I can get. I know teachers teach multi-grades all the time, but I find it's slightly different in Zambia then back home. Grade one is often like teaching several grades as they come in with various levels of teaching (or none at all). At least 2/3's of my Grade 1 (and one grade 2)students don't know their alphabet sounds. So we'll be using basic phonics with them; whereas the rest of them can read short words. I haven't really seen the math "skills" yet, but hopefully the gap isn't as wide!

well, it's getting late and i have an early morning tomorrow starting with teaching children how to eat breakfast properly. (no joke)
ttfn!

No comments:

Post a Comment