Monday, January 4, 2010

Zambian Shopping

Today we went shopping in Lusaka (the capital of Zambia) it's surprisingly like shopping at home. The hardest thing to get used to is their money! It was quite a shock when Lina and I ordered a large pizza and 2 cans of pop and the total came to k60,000! As the exchange rate is about k4600 to the US$1 so it really cost about $12. Shopping with the kwatcha is like shopping with monopoly money, it's easy to forget that's it's real money. Apart from picking up essentials for our house, it was fun to just look around the shops and chuckle at some of the products and their logos.

I guess I should explain who Lina is as her name will probably pop up from time to time. Lina is from Texas, USA. She is also just starting at Sakeji, although she was here a few years ago for a term. She will probably be teaching music (as that is her specialty) and maybe some middle grades. We will be living together in the Valleyview House (pics to follow, once i arrive). We've spent the last few days sharing a room together here at the guest house in Lusaka and are slowly getting to know one another. I think the arrangement should work out well.

I think that's about all for now. I find the heat can really take a lot out of ya so I'm going for a quick lie-down. I'm still not totally over the jet lag as I wake up about 3am every night and can't seem to fall asleep again till around 5:30. It's pretty frustrating but I'm hoping that will get better soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment